Wednesday 21 January 2009

RSPB Bird count this weekend 24th-25th January

RSPB bird count this weekend. (24th-25th Jan) http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/
Take part in the RSPB survey this weekend. You can submit the results online at their website.
The survey is very simple. All you need to do is watch your garden or local park for an hour on either Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th January, note down the birds you see and tell us the highest number of each species you see at any one time in the hour (this avoids counting the same birds twice.)
If you put food out every day you will get a regular amount of birds even in a small garden .

9 comments:

  1. I have my pen and paper ready...
    Please encourage as many people as possible to take part in this survey; the more that participate, the better the picture will be of the state of our garden birds.

    By the way, my calendar has Saturday as the 24th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark. Thanks .......dates corrected this week end 24th -25th January

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was watching a pair of Sea Eagles today at Killiechronan, trying to snatch a gull off the water, they tried several times but each time the gull managed to dive and escape, finally the eagles gave up and flew off.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34704883@N00/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why not post that picture to the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that a Glaucous Gull it's trying to get? Great shot though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so much watching the Sea Eagle that I did not notice but yes it is a white winged gull and looks like an Iceland Gull. I know that there has been one in the area around the fish farm outfall pipe. It had a lucky escape.
    I have posted more images on mullbirds Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34704883@N00/

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were down at Killiechronan on Sunday and was 99% sure I had seen an Iceland Gull! It was so cold and windy - as you say, lucky escape for the gull - great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had a closer look at the "lucky Gull" and now see that it is a 2nd winter Glaucous Gull and not an Iceland gull as I first thought.

    ReplyDelete