Monday 15 June 2009

Mull Orchids in June


15th June 2009. I have just received a report of a Hawfinch in a local garden in Calgary, Isle of Mull. This is a first record for Mull of this very scarce bird. Unfortunately there are no pictures but my thanks to Andrew and Helen Mortley for this report. It was Helen and Andrew who reported the first ever Nuthatch here on Mull , that was last year.

Earlier this month, on the 4th there was a report of an Ortolan Bunting at Craignure, and pictures were taken which I was able to see and I am delighted to be able to confirm this sighting of an extremley rare bird for the UK and it is a first for Argyll and for Mull. I am hoping that the people who found the bird will get back to me with photos as they said they would.

At the moment our island is full of beautiful orchids and today I went out with a friend and we found seven species, you can see some of the on my web site at http://www.mullbirds.com. in the gallery are several pages of orchid images.

No comments:

Post a Comment